Thread: Future HOFers
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 11:46 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
His WAR is 30.5. Maybe if it was 40+ I could see a case. 50+ as a catcher and I would have him as a lock. Mauer is at 47.5 and people are questioning him. Posey is already at 28.1 and will sail by Molina. Even a few more good years leaves him well short.

I'm not a big WAR guy, I see a lot of problems with it. However when we are comparing players at the same position, I also see it's value. More and more HOF voters are going to look at advance metrics and use them in their process. Molina is a very good player, just not HOF worthy.
This goes back to my paragraph about full time catchers. Mauer hasn't played a game as a catcher since 2013. Posey is being groomed to move to 1st base, as this season he only has 73 CG behind the plate compared to Molina's 93 CG. This year Posey only has 721.2 innings compared to Molina's 984.1 innings thus far (where as Posey has only had one season that has even exceeded this number and they still have until Oct 4th). Posey is the better Offesive player, but that is why I believe he will be utilized more as a 1st baseman in the future and he will not be the best catcher as you stated.

Again, I know I am bias and I know it isn't a sure thing, but I wouldn't count him out as career catchers are rare and even rarer to maintain as the premier defensive catcher after 10 years.