View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
"Monico stated Mastro would never again be involved in the sports memorabilia industry. “He cannot and would not go back. His case is now an epic tale within the industry, a lesson to all about the consequences of auction-related misconduct.” "

I will believe that when I (don't) see it. I'd bet on Mastro crawling out from under his rock before everything is said and done.
Hard to say. Out of the crooks who wound up back in the hobby, we have had thieves in some areas of vintage sports collectibles 'go straight' because it profited them to do so. We have had other hobby crooks go straight because the idea of going back to prison was very distasteful. And then we have Mr. Nash, who I have not yet figured out. But I think you are right - they got into the hobby because they loved it, and if they can get involved again after getting caught, they generally do. Kind of like battlers on discussion boards getting banned, but finding their way back, despite the beatings they know they will inevitably take.

On the opposite end of the honesty spectrum, some hobbyists have always been honest and respectable, and always will be - just because it's who they are. Don't make the mistake of believing that crooks ever get to move into that category - it's not their nature. All we can hope to do is contain them.