View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I used to work in the Stadium Operations department at Wrigley back in the 1980's and am pretty familiar with these flags as the Stadium Operations group is the one that oversaw the grounds crew which are the people responsible for the flags.

First of all Denny Graziano is a Chicago area dealer who I believe specializes in Sports championship rings but back in the day he sold a large amount of Chicago sports memorabilia. I have known his for decades and he is a good guy.

Your pennant and others just like it used to be sold at the Cubs fan convention every year to collectors just like yourself as game used. If they still do it I have no idea but back in the day these were easily purchased from the team. The pennant you have flew over the scoreboard as these were the pennants that displayed the city names. And in case you were unaware....the order of these pennants are changed on the flag pole each day in order to show the standings for the teams in the division. It is rare to see a Chicago team pennant at the top of the pole!

The other pennants you are seeing with the team name are those that fly on the roof of Wrigley Field and can be seen inside and outside the ball park. Usually the team name flags are spread out on their own flag pole with a Cubs logoed pennant interspersed between the team pennants.

So the long and short of it is.....

City name-Flew over the scoreboard to indicate team standings in the division on that specific game day.

Team name- Flew over the roof of the old ball park around the top of the upper deck.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Last edited by whitehse; 08-03-2015 at 11:03 AM.