View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Koufax vs Marichal

Quote:
Do you have a view then on whether Marichal, for the same period, was as good as Koufax?
Peter - My point was that Koufax became Koufax when the Dodgers started playing home games in Dodger Stadium, not because he learned to throw his fastball with more command or throw more strikes with his curveball. He benefitted from playing his home games in Dodger Stadium but so did every other pitcher that pitched there. He was just better. Just because Koufax had a bigger home park advantage at Dodger Stadium than other pitchers does not mean he should be evaluated differently.

There is an outfielder who was a lock first ballot HOFer and considered a legend of the game and if you doubled his road numbers his career totals would have looked like this:
3194 hits 430 homers .264 average .357 OBP and .422 SLG - Hall Worthy?

Bill James addressed the Marichal - Koufax question "(I always wondered) whether Koufax's advantages were just park effects. Had Marichal pitched in Dodgers Stadium and Koufax in Candlestick, it is quite likely that Marichal would have had lower ERA's than Koufax, and Marichal might have won the Cy Young awards.
However, since I have the Win Shares, I now realize that Koufax was in fact more valuable than Marichal in those key seasons."