View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Brad W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Hi Brad - yes, I have frequented your site many times. Can you provide more details about the early Anson photo you posted? Is it a period cabinet photo, or a cut-out from a larger piece or simply a much later photo re-strike?

On a similar note, I've always wondered about the characteristics of the 1869 Marshalltown photo. Is it a cabinet photo?

Thanks for contributing.
Derek,

That's a great question about the 1869 Marshalltown team photo... I'd never gone back to look for the source photo - only seen it cropped on various sites and in publications. I first went to look at some photos I took at a visit to the Marshalltown Historical Society. I remembered the team photo was in the display, but alas it didn't reveal the border.

Just for kicks, here's a photo of Anson's dad Henry from the Museum. He was the town founder.

So then on a whim I tried the Rucker Archive. I searched "Cap Anson" and came up empty. But then I tried "1869 Marshalltown" and success! The source photo with border:

It's described as a Cabinet in the archive info. No info about whether or not there is photographer/studio info on the back of the card though. Would love to know if there is any or not.

Thanks for making me dig deeper!