View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Richard D

Default National

This will be my 5th or 6th National, 3rd in Chicago. I plan for each some time in advance.
Unlike other people, it takes me the whole week to see everything I want to see, and that includes avoiding all modern cards, all memorabilia booths, and all football/basketball/hockey booths.
Generally I start with a pre-made map of the room with all booths marked with dealers I know will have some stuff I like. I do a quick sweep of the room visiting just them first. I mark down other booths I see in passing that look promising, and visit those next. Finally I do a thorough sweep of the room visiting every booth with possible hits, even if I've been there already, as things can change.
I like talking with dealers but some are too pushy or reluctant to put prices on items - that puts me off.
This takes the whole week for me. I also have friends at the show and we call each other on our cells when we find a booth that is helpful for one of us. Very useful as it multiplies the eyes you have looking for your deals.
Comfortable shoes - excellent point - I would add, comfortable everything. I wear long pants and carry a light long sleeve shirt in case I get planted at a booth that happens to be right under the AC blower (it happens).
I carry a drink, and some snack like fruit because I don't want to take time for a meal and don't want to buy overpriced unhealthy food just because I am empty.
Magnifier, my glasses, a couple pens, lots of small bills, a few hard plastic sleeves and a small cardboard box to hold cards, my detailed up-to-date, easy-to-read wantlist, small flashlight (could be cell phone), belt bag, small light day pack, and sometimes I carry a very lightweight folding tripod golf seat for when I am planted at a booth for a couple hours and no chairs available (hurts my back to stand so long on cement).
I feel like I am prepping for a military campaign, but it is fun and works for me. I have a blast with my friends finding stuff, meet lots of people, see stuff I never imagined before, have high energy days and sleep well at night. By the end of the week I'm tired and feeling like I saw it all. Evening dinners (esp net54), maybe a ballgame and a swap session with friends, ends a memorable week.
Then I can't wait for next year, but I need a few weeks to rest up!