Thread: Scans
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Default Scans

A lot of sellers (including Net54 members) have been attacked for scan "manipulation." There seems to be two schools of thought on scanning:

1. "Naturalist" View.

Whatever your scanner produces under factory settings -- just leave it alone. I will call this the "naturalist" or "preservationist" view. I happen to disagree with it, since the scans that my scanner produces often do not fairly represent the card I am selling.

2. "Best Representation" View.

Manipulate the "raw" scans that your scanner produces and attempt to make the card look as close to what it looks like to the naked eye as possible. This is what I try to do (although I am not a major seller, by any means).

I think these are both legitimate views. Which school do you ascribe to? (Or perhaps a third or fourth school?)

Thanks for the inputs.

Scot

Edited to add: This thread is NOT in response to any specific issue I have had with a seller or buyer; I just want to find out what seller and buyer expectations are.

Further edited to add: Maybe we can all agree on disclosure rules, like: factory settings = X; current settings = Y ??? Perhaps this is too complicated.

Further further edited to add: Would anyone be open to developing a set of comprehensive standards for vintage BB cards -- like IEEE for networking ??? So that everyone could just say VBC compliant? Perhaps too ambitious.

Last edited by sreader3; 06-08-2015 at 09:19 PM.