Thread: OT: Harper
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
I live in DC area and am a Nats fan, so maybe I am a little biased. I don't understand why there seems to be such animosity toward Bryce Harper across the league. He was previously voted most over-rated player, the umpires seem to really dislike him, etc.
It's a rep that goes back to his high school days. He was anointed by Sports Illustrated when they put him on their cover at 16 years old. He carried himself with a bit of a chip on his shoulder through his early pro career and responded poorly to trash talking and hassling. He's been a lot better in the majors but he clearly came into the league carrying himself with some arrogance which, combined with the "OMG, HE'S A SUPERSTAR!!!!!" tag hung on him by the media long before he'd earned, garnered him resentment. On top of that, he also argues balls and strikes way too much. And then there's stuff like the petulant way he put his toe in the box last week in the game where he got kicked out.

Don't get me wrong - I like Harper. But I totally get why there's animosity and it's absolutely NOT completely unearned.