View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
One other note, HOF'er, George Davis was traded from Cleveland to New York during February of 1893. Depending on how early in the season the cards were produced he could have been issued although the card is not known and I don't see him on the poster, difficult to tell for sure though since one image is almost totally obliterated.
Phil, this poster was discussed awhile back, and the players identified--Davis is not on the poster, and since he was traded FOR Ewing, who does appear, it's very unlikely he will surface as part of the set, unless there was another printing before the trade, which itself was before the season.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=mcaleer

As for the restoration, I agree with what was said, and it also seems odd to me that the restoration was not completed before the item was placed in the catalog. If you're going to require the buyer to pay for it anyway, why not have the finished product on display, which presumably will look nicer and thus likely draw additional bids?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.