View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Al Richter

Default Rookies

Phil-- I am not a rookie card collector. I collect sets, mostly Topps and Fleer post war. So I have never gotten much into the debates that sometimes pop up on which card is a player's "true" rookie card...like the current Ruth thread on post war.

In selecting cards for your book did you encounter much or any controversy as to which card to use as a player's rookie card ? If so, what criteria did you apply or what criteria do you recommend be applied in such determinations ? Do you discuss it in the book ?

While I do not concentrate on rookie cards, I do collect variations to my sets, and there is not a standard accepted hobby definition of what constitutes a "true" or "legitimate" variation that should be considered part of a master set. Since value gets attached to cards that are accepted from an overall hobby standpoint as a variation, the debate is sometimes lively and even contentious. Is there much or any of that in the realm of rookie cards beyond the Ruth question being discussed on post war now ?