View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 PM

Default To crack and submit, or attempt to crossover?

I've got a group of cards I've bought over the past year or so, that are SGC. And I'd like to submit them to PSA for my registry set. But I'm at a quandary as to what to do.

It certainly would be safer to submit in the SGC holder for crossover, so if the cards don't meet or exceed their SGC grade, I've still got them graded in the original holder.

But I'm skeptical. Let's face it: grading is subjective, and in a hobby where a grade point can mean the difference between a hundred dollar card and a thousand dollar one, there's going to be, how shall we say..politics? I worry about how unbiased PSA will be when faced with a competitor's card. Are they going to be inclined to not want to cross the card in order to inflate their value of their brand, and deflate the value of the competitor (i.e. the competitor is less stringent about grades than we are). Can I really expect a fair shake?

Or am I better off cracking and submitting raw, so PSA will judge the card on its merits?

What's been your experience? Have any of you compared crossover submissions versus raw submissions?

What should I do?

Thanks!

BR