Thread: John Staples ?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

I wouldn't exactly call a day and a half "days and days" of waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Nole View Post
Friday

3/20, 12:26pm
Show Images

3/20, 12:26pm
What can you do for me?....

John Staples
I have all or most of them. I will let you know this evening if that's okay....
3/20,

3/22, 12:06am
Show ImagesJohn Staples
Okay, I have 555, 621, 659, 688, 693, 699, 702, 705, 711, 714 and they are all VG-EX or better and the group included the very toughest to get card in the set, #702 which normally sells for well over high beckett in any grade. The high beckett is $109 and I'd take just $40 shipped on the entire group. The only card I don't have is Rose. My paypal is n2corky@aol.com and thanks for thinking of me.....big john....Today

12:07pm
Show ImagesJohn Staples
I never received a response for filling this request from you. Thanks, as I always enjoy filling your wantlists....big john....

So you email Friday around noon. Probably while he's packing for a show. And he replies just after midnight Saturday (Technically Sunday since it's just after midnight) probably just after he's gotten back from the show, finished unloading had a bite to eat and a bit of relaxing. That he replied then is to me pretty good service. And he follows up about 12 hours later.

I'd say the impatience is a bit over the top, and his response is more than a bit over the top. I'd probably just move you quietly to the permanent "sorry I don't have those" list.

Sadly this is an attitude becoming more common as the younger people who are used to instant service from places like Amazon get into hobbies.
For someone who recalls when it was maybe 4-5 shows a year and a lot of looking through commons boxes to find what you needed, so putting together a set might take a couple years maybe more if you were picky. Expecting someone to drop everything and put together a smallish order on what's probably a show day -or a busy day if he has a shop - just seems unreasonable. (Heck, with shows every weekend and a dealer on every corner it took 2 years to find a 1988 Topps Canseco to finish the set! Booked a dollar, but nobody had one where it could be easily found. )

When I was doing Ebay I'd often wait several hours to answer dumb questions so I could answer them politely.

"shipping is 1.50 in the US, International at cost"
Q How much to ship to New Hampshire?

Paid Monday morning. Buyer on the opposite coast.
Q Monday 1pm "why don't I have my cards yet"

Those both waited around 12 hours for an answer.

Steve B