View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 10:59 PM

You know, Al, I really don't see why the Conlon cards could just stay in the PreWWII main forum. After all, they strictly depict pre-war players. They fit in with that era obviously and would complement a pre-war collection, in my mind.

Some of the Conlons are great, in every sense. Some of them suck, and the photo selection jerk must have been high on meth when he chose them. A vivid example that comes to mind is that of the color card of Lewis (Hack) Wilson. Now I had seen a black 'n white shot of Hack used in a Sporting News publication that was exceptionally moving, with a grim determined look on Hack's face while he was at bat, waiting for the pitch. That would have been absolutely perfect. Instead, the moron selected this shot of Hack hurling himself back from a pitch that got a little too high and towards his eyes. You cannot even see Hack's face, which is probably just as well. The pitch should have hit the photo selector instead! Maybe that wouldn't knocked some sense into him, but I doubt it. What a miserable card, and a lost opportunity.

In his defense, among the cards lovingly colorized that stand out to me are the portrait of Lefty Grove as a Philadelphia A, the Joe Jackson as an Indian in about 1916, the side profile of Lou Gehrig at bat in 1927, and furthermore the famous photo of Ty Cobb hurling himself at the Highlanders' third baseman in about 1910-11 are each king-sized gems.

Anyway, glad you like the Conlons. You have good taste in "modern cards".

Take care, pal. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-21-2015 at 11:01 PM.