View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Possible origin of the #106 Durocher......

My memory on this is not 100% certain; however, here is my input regarding this unusual "1933 Goudey" Durocher card. Circa 1982-83, I visited George Moll
at his home in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. George Moll was the genius behind Gum, Inc. Sports & Non-Sports cards (1938-1943). And, the Bowman Gum Co.
Sports & Non-Sports cards (1948-1955). Moll's Advertising Agency in Philadelphia (in conjunction with Warren Bowman) produced the above mentioned cards.

George Moll was a gracious gentleman in his 80's. He delighted in showing me his extensive collection of Sports cards (Play Ball's and Bowman's), uncut sheets,
sports posters, etc. Furthermore, he showed me some of his Non-Sports cards.....most notably the 1938 Horrors of War set. Then he pulled out an album which
contained high quality mylar sheets. Within those sheets was the most beautiful 1933 Goudey cards ever seen. I remember him telling me the 1933 Goudey set
was his favorite BB cards. He collected them when he was in his mid 30's.
Now, I do not recall if he had a Lajoie. I do recall him showing me the #106 Durocher card. It's my understanding that his Company printed this card in order to
fill a missing slot in this Goudey set. How many of these cards were printed is unknown.

TED Z