View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default NAV: Ty Cobb autograph with Ironclad :) provenance

Pulled, as questions have been raised concerning the enhancement for publication, and I don't feel like dealing with it.

Ty Cobb signature used in 1924 Bradley Sweaters Ad

You can't beat the provenance on this Ty Cobb autograph: this is the exact Ty Cobb signature that Baseball Magazine published in 1924 in a Bradley Sweaters ad that was on the back cover. Full page letters were mailed to various team managers. The managers were to sign the letter, authorizing the use of their signature in the ad, and in return their team would be sent sweaters. Someone at Bradley saved the letters - full letters for those authorizing the use of their signatures, and the bottom section only, for those who did not authorize their use. Some of the managers eventually gave their consent, including Cobb.

The signature itself was touched up around the edges of some letters, with white, similar to how old photographs were marked up. This was done for publication. The piece measures 6 1/4 x 2 3/4. The interesting 'T' in 'Tyrus' is uncommon and he used it almost exclusively when he signed a letter simply 'Ty', but I also found that he commonly signed correspondence this way during 1923-25. I have no idea why, but it's authentic and the signature matches the ad perfectly. A rare version of his signature with great provenance.

I have attached the best image I could find of the actual back cover of the magazine, but I'm sure a cleaner version will show up at some point. I was also able to find two photographs of Cobb that were taken in the Spring of 1924 in Augusta, GA, where he is wearing his Bradley sweater. A glossy 5x7 printed image of the ad and a 8x10 glossy image of the horizontal version of Cobb wearing the sweater, will be included with the autograph. Both are printed on high-quality photo paper.

I had planned on saving this until I could find a hi-res copy of the actual ad, but I need to sell some things, so here you go.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.