View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Bill Gregory

I've got to say the 1938 Goudey Joe DiMaggio looks silly to me.

I love Goudey. I love Joe DiMaggio. I love cartoons. But a Goudey Joe DiMaggio cartoon is just ridiculous.

I can't help but think of Chris Farley on Saturday Night Live, "fat guy in a little coat", only it's "fat head on a little body". Goudey started so well, and I know they had some big time budget concerns in later years. But they could have done better than this. And what's with the little phrases, "considered one of the best outfielders of all-time, rated a niche in the Hall of Fame from his first season". Really? He'd played two years by the time this card was printed. They were phenomenal years, yes, but Hall of Fame, and "all-time great" talk after 300 games?

Just another reason why this card is stupid, and decidedly overrated. This would be one of the very last of his cards I would ever add to my collection, and only if I needed it to complete a run of some sorts.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 01-29-2015 at 02:36 PM.