View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would guess auctions are popular because there isn't any other option for most. B/M card shops are almost nonexistent because with their overhead. They can't compete with the person who still lives in their Moms basement selling cards on eBay or internet forums.
I think that's key. Buyers eventually have to follow the sellers, and more sellers are going this route to maximize their profits. Why pay to set up at a card show and hope I can sell at my asking price when I can post in an auction, and not only sell more items with far less overhead, but also reach an infinitely greater customer base. The fact that the sellers started trending towards auctions made it inevitable that buyers would have to follow suit.

Additionally, and I know this has been proven false on many occassions right here on this site, to most collectors there is a perceived sense of authenticity coming from an auction house. I'm sure the casual collector or even one who is more advanced but lacks a resource such as this forum may have no questions about an item purchased through a major AH, but have doubts about the same item sold by some stranger set up at a card show. Really nothing logical to that line of thought but it seems to be the case.

Last edited by dgo71; 01-15-2015 at 06:10 PM.