View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
An$on

Default You get a fake Ruth, and YOU get a fake Ruth, and ...

I'm not sure if the board even cares about these things (if not, I'll avoid them in the future), but since I noticed some other posts of fake Ruth Goudeys, I figured I'd throw this one out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-...item2edc58c541

For most of you, this is probably easy to spot if for nothing more than the typical 'I don't know about this so I'm listing it cheap' warning label. But this is a poorly-faked Ruth card with all kinds of issues such as the blurry lettering in the name, overly glossy finish (seen particularly around the name), and the tinged black edges on the back. I actually bought a common that was produced like this in the past just to show it to people and it demonstrates the exact same characteristics. In your hand, they actually feel like half the weight, too.

My favorite is that it was examined by 'the local card shop' and they said the paper felt right. Like any dealer that has managed to still maintain a brick and mortar shop in this day and age would not be falling over himself to buy it for $350 if he/she thought it was authentic.

Like I said, the information I posted surely isn't new to like 99% of you guys, but I wanted to share even if it saves one person from spending money on this junk. Someone is 'watching' the item and I hope it's just someone doing so to see if eBay will yank it or not.