Thread: Chains
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
C'mon man. With GPS we can get to our mistresses hideaway blindfolded. With smart bombs we can target the front door or the back door of a shanty in Uzbekistan. My wife can look at Google Earth and tell me whose cars are in our driveway. She can't tell me which golf cart I'm in, but really do we need to get ten yards of chain from Ace Hardware to determine first downs. I think not.

David, I suspect the blue and yellow lines on the tube are more accurate (or could be) than the chains. Let Jim Nance and Joe Buck call the first downs from the booth then. Nope, we got bring in those chains. If they are so damn accurate the chains should be brought onto the field everytime there is a first down so they can be set accurately on the side line in case they are needed, but no we just let the chain gang eyeball it on first down. What would you tell your son if his goal in life was to become a football chain operator?
With little doubt, ball placement and first down yardage could be exact with the video angles available. The blue n' yellow lines could easily become official measuring guidelines. Of course a game would get longer and that is something the NFL is getting pushback about now. Imagine officials running to the replay for every questionable situation in addition to the existing "REPLAY " challenges in place now.