View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Questionable NFL officials?

The call against Green Bay last year where Golden Tate was given a touchdown was the first time I wondered about this, and I was pulling for Seattle, so no bias. When the official has the advantage of multiple slow-motion views of a play, and still clearly gets it wrong, you have to ask yourself if the guy under the hood has something on his mind other than getting the call right. It's almost as if an opportunity presented itself and the official took it.

The first bad review in today's game was the Green Bay catch that clearly hit the ground, yet was upheld. Not even questionable, it could be nothing other than an intentional error - there is no other explanation other than blindness or substance abuse. After that review, I was dead-certain that Bryant's catch would be reversed, and my guess is that the official was wiping sweat off his forehead when given the opportunity by McCarthy to go under the hood and reverse the call.

We have had this sort of thing with professional boxing, with NBA referees, with FIFA officials and with Olympic judges - thinking that NFL officials are immune to it is naive in my opinion.