View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 02:00 PM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
There is another seller from southern Mississippi selling a psa 8.5 1952 topps Mickey Mantle he also didnt mention psa 8.5 in title--just 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle His feedback is a 1---I wonder if it is the same seller with a different name---have to be carful on both of these.
eBay is utterly useless when it comes to these kinds of things. I get that they can't police everything, but even when presented with reasonable evidence, they often refuse to do anything about it.

Case in point - a few years ago, I bid on a Babe Ruth 1933 Goudey PSA 2 of a 'too good to believe it price' of like $800.00. I figured worst case scenario was that I'd not get the item and need to open a complaint with Paypal. Further triggering an alarm was the fact that seconds after using the BIN feature, I received an email from the seller asking when I would be paying for the item.

I had planned to research this a little already, but upon getting that email, it made me want to look into it even more carefully before sending any payment. It took me less than one minute to find the original image of the card he copied in another (legit) listing - same PSA serial number.

When I questioned him about this, he shot off a poorly-worded email about not knowing there was only one of those cards in existence and then insulting me for 'ruining his auction'. His next action would be to report me to eBay.

I cannot make this up.

After telling him that I hoped he did in order to reveal his obvious scam, I tried to have this scumbag removed from eBay as well as cancel the purchase. After needing to send several cancellation requests along with a link to the other item clearly noting the serial number, eBay finally did cancel it ... weeks later. I, of course, continued to get their automated 'Pay Now' emails.

A few months later, I was astonished to not only see the seller still had an active username, but was still doing business. His feedback had risen from like 12 or so to in the 30s and all of his positives were from buying inexpensive items to build up his credibility. He didn't have any big-ticket items for sale, but that was surely a part of wanting to build up his feedback.

At that point, I gave up. The judge, jury, and executioner at eBay is a hilarious combination with no real rhyme or reason. They will force sellers with good track records out for not meeting their ridiculous five-star standards yet will allow lunatics like this to freely come and go without consequence.

Apologies for the long-winded discussion, but this post brought up all kinds of bad memories.