View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Brad Francis

Default PSA, SGC, GAI etc. flip information...necessary???

Forgive me if this has already been talked about, but I find it amusing when SGC for instance adds "Collectors Collection" to the information on the flip. See attached photo and link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-...item2a49cf2cb9

What does that even mean?

I have seen the name of particular well known collectors on the flip, but even then does it make it more valuable because after all, this well known collector received the card from some grubby old kid or estate sale etc. just like the rest of the collectors at the time. I have a minor interest/amusement by the accession history of a card obtained by Lionel Carter for example but would not pay more for it. As a matter of fact I have the same interest in the history of any card from any collector I buy from.

It is actually fun to trace a cards history of a prewar card I bought, from my purchase of it all the way back to the nickel paid at a candy counter somewhere for it by the first owner. Using my genealogy sleuthing skills I learned from my mother I have actually been successful at a few, and still working on others.

But back to my first inquiry what does "Collectors Collection" on the Terry Goudey SGC flip even mean?

Next bit of humor is when someone puts in the title or description that something was found by Mr. Mint. I automatically don't want it, as it is like buying a stereo out of the back of a truck behind the old roller rink. How honest was the transaction. GAI seemed to think it was important enough and would add to interest or value. See the next link and photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-TOPPS-F...item4ae121842a

I guess all of these questions together beg the question, does it matter who owned the card previously other than just a bit of fun tracing the origin/history? And does it warrant a notation on the grading company's flip?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terrygoudey.jpg (74.5 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg rosen1.jpg (77.5 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg rosen2.jpg (77.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg rosen3.jpg (76.6 KB, 346 views)