View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Bernie

I had not thought about the on card, but rather cut autos. Ie SP authentic cuts, Prime cuts, etc, where the name of the game is to buy as low as possible.I would assume, (and accept the disambiguation of the word that comes with it) that on card auto or stickers carry a heavier standard, but, when you read disclaimers like "assured to us by so and so" that they signed the card, it suggests to me a legal copout.
Simple economics, say you are based in Tx, the signer in Ca., Signer will sign 200 cards, an hour's worth, for $2000 (a nice hourly rate, just made it up) I can mail a $50 box of cards (return postage included) and a contract which I ask signer to notarize saying that they did sign, vs having a salesman travel to Cali, and back, where the cost of a day's wages, RT airfare, rental car, meals just about doubles the cost per auto, henceloweringprofit margin. I also doubt schedules can be arranged with 100 signees, scattered around the US, for 1 or 2 employees to monitor.
Buying used autos, for cuts, is not cheaper, hence the vulnerability to fraud. With the possible exception of Ruth, Williams, Mantle, Dimaggio, not too many other deceased players are still signing autos