View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GehrigFan View Post
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but as I pointed out in the original post, I was just giving what information was found so far and stated that "we believe" the photo to be the Seabreeze team with NY Giants members. The source of that information is a longtime photograph collector who had good knowledge of these hotel teams, as some of the teams were integrated and he was a collector of African-American baseball items from this time period.

The purpose for putting it up here on Net54 was to get the opinions of a lot more experts on this board. I have always been impressed with fellow Net54 members' abilities to match players in vintage photographs. If it is not as the original research purports, then we would not post it as such in auction. A "leap of faith" would have been putting this in an auction without garnering the opinions of Net54 members first. On the contrary, we are going out of our way to try to figure this one out before selling it.

Sincerely,
Mark Anderson
Mark, I don't think you offended anyone; however, it raised some eyebrows that you were able to identify this many NY Giants in a photo where none probably exist. It's great that you asked us for help, but it's odd that no one at Heritage could look at that photo and simply say "no". It's even stranger that this seems to be a trend in the industry - we recently saw Amos Rusie and Joe Jackson identified incorrectly in photos by an auction house. Why not just pay a consultant to check out your photos in-house?