View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This story has some credibility issues IMO.
Maybe not. Here are the Ruth card Evers references as it is the only fact I can check about his story.

And I believe it does checks out! Here are the two Ruth card lots:

December 2007 Lot 225 (the Ruth card is in the upper right corner of first photo (yellow background Ruth card graded VG-Ex by SGC):

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=76592

Evers’ consignment lot #225 comprised of 108 cards including two Babe Ruths sold for $6,544.

And here is the same #53 Ruth card now graded PSA 6 in Mastro’s 5/1/2008 closing date auction Lot #459 (easy to identify due to flaws – look at unique mark in upper right as well as left border):

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=80276
This ONE CARD all alone sold for $7,800!

Quote:
“Two months after they scammed me, in Mastro’s February 2008 auction catalogue, I saw many of my 1930s’ cards, now selling in small groups of four with high grades on them. Six months after they scammed me out of my collection, in Mastro’s Summer 2008 sports memorabilia auction catalogue, I saw my rare cards taken out of their low graded slabs and put in PSA grading company slabs now with much higher grades. For example, one of my 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth cards was graded a 4 by SGC when it was “mine.” Now that it was Mastro’s , it was taken out of its SGC grading slab and put into a PSA grading slab and graded a 6 (exponentially more valuable due to higher grading). The reason I know it was my Babe Ruth card is because it had two unique imperfections on it which matched perfectly to “mine” in the December 2007 Mastro catalogue photograph. In December 2007, as “mine,” it was graded a 4. In June 2008, as Mastro’s it was graded a 6! “
No wonder he’s upset!!!!

Last edited by sports-rings; 11-18-2014 at 05:50 PM.