View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 12:01 PM

I had my wife's grandmother email me the story because she is now in her mid 80's and he passed away in the 80's. The ball had been in a ball holder sitting in their hallway all these years. Here is what she emailed me about the story behind the ball:

The Evans' were all big sports fans especially baseball, Bills' uncles included. Sundays were spent listening then later watching games. Findlay was close enough to Cleveland, Cincinnati- to drive to . They also saw many games in St. Louis, Jane had an Aunt and Uncle There. Because of Genes' Job as Traffic Manager for Ohio Oil, they received many comped tickets, box seats no less.

At one of the Cleveland games the President of the Nickel Plate Railroad ( I am not sure for this--could have been another RR) asked them to his home for dinner after the game.

He was also a huge sports fan and his den was filled with much memorabilia.

As the evening drew to a close He was so impressed with Bills' knowledge of baseball and sports in general , he told him he could choose anything he wanted from his collection--of course the babe Ruth ball was chosen--this was probably around 1936 so Bill would have been about 12.