Thread: SGC & Hand Cut
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 01:15 PM

TATSR, Howdy. While I know nothing about this card issue, let me join the others in easing your worry. One of the good things that professional grading companies do is to provide the designation of "HAND CUT" to their label as a point of historical reference to the manner in which the cards were offered to the public.

For example, the 1960-1963 Post Cereal cards were printed on the backside of their breakfast cereal boxes. You had to cut the cards off the box to get the individual cards. The noteworthy exception was 1961, whereby the customer could send a box top and change for a team set (which was usually not the entire team printed by Post, and some cards were only included in the send away offer, while a few were only to be found on the cereal boxes. This sounds confusing, and perhaps a poor example). Nevertheless, the key to my point was that the consumer had to hand cut the cards off the product package, whereas all gum cards and many regional issues were factory cut and ready to add to your collection.

The merits of hand cut cards are considerably enhanced when the professional grading firm assigns it a grade as high as the example you provided us. In other words, the "HAND CUT" designation makes the card all the more remarkable and valuable when it receives such a high grade. Really, anything Near Mint or better with a hand cut card is pure wow.

Nice going, collecting bro!

Please favor us with any details of the set, if you know.

Take care. ---Brian Powell