View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago
Hernandez had a shorter career than Olerud, but still finished with higher career totals for putouts and assists. And while Hernandez did not ever hit .363 (.344 in his MVP year is pretty good), outside of a .350 plus year, neither did Olerud.
Yes, Hernandez had more putouts and assists. A lot more. You think playing in the era of astro turf might have something to do with the putouts? Perhaps. Regardless, I've never made the argument that they were equal defensively. Hernandez is universally regarded as the GOAT at first. No problem with that. But Olerud was really, really close (see the above "runs saved" stat).

As for their offense...I don't quite follow. You're saying, "Sure, Hernandez hit that well but neither did Olerud...except that other time that he did." So Hernandez had his 1979 but Olerud had 1993 and 1998 that were both better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago
And pretty sure left field is less important and easier than first base.
How do I know first base is easier and less important than LF? Cuz Mo Vaughn, David Ortiz, and Miguel Cabrera all play(ed) 1B and would have no prayer of ever being able to play LF.

Last edited by Tabe; 09-22-2014 at 05:50 PM.