View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 AM
Brad Francis

Default 1959 Yankee Stadium seat questions and pictures

Last week I posted an article in the "Introductions" section entitled "Dad's trip to NY in 1959..." about his trip to NY as teenager and his attendance at a Yankees/Orioles game April 25th, 1959.

As a result of sharing the story I am wanting to purchase some seats from Yankee Stadium. In my search I have come across seats with:

Flat wooden slats on seat and back
Curved wooden slats on seat and back
Curved plastic molded seat and back (Steiner with repro cast sides)
Plastic back with padding

And then some seats had legs to the floor, and some have brackets that attached the chair to the cement wall behind the seat.

I also came across bleacher bench sections with blue metal tops as well as blue plastic tops.

My questions are:

What seats would have been in the stadium in 1959?

Did they replace each and every seat in 1973?

Did the stadium have seats with wooden flat slats, and wooden curved slats at the same time? (I have seen both curved slats and flat slats advertised as original 1923 seats)

The 1973 Korvette's Hardware advertising offers flat slat seats for $7.50, but no mention or picture of curved slat seats.

I have attached a few pictures of his original ticket stub as well as the two wooden seat styles I found while perusing Ebay.

I have concluded with the help of a fellow member who responded that his seat was in the lower section somewhere down the "first base" line. Possibly past first base down the line into the outfield a bit. If you have an opinion please share. And mainly today I am wondering what type of seat he was sitting in. As you can see by the ticket stub, it was Section 9, Row J, Seat 24,Gate 6.

Thanks so much,
Brad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ysseat1.jpg (74.5 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg ysseat15.jpg (77.7 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg dads ny stuff.jpg (73.0 KB, 249 views)