View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 PM
kirk welch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I'm a photo expert, and the reason why I'm always hesitant about 'LOA' writing is I consider the payment to be for my learned opinion about something. I'm not an insurance or bonding company, nor would I ever want to be an insurance or bonding company. I'm a photo historian who knows something about photos. If accepting $10 for my opinion means I'm now forever financially responsible for a $30,000 item, forget it. That doesn't seem like a winning bet. Keep your $10, and I'll keep my opinion to myself. If you want the item insured for $30000 go to an insurance company. That's not my business, nor would I advertise it as my business. I think this whole hobby deal of getting a LOA as a form of financial insurance is dubious from both sides and from many angles. A letter of opinion is one person's or company's opinion, and it should be treated that way by both sides. Now, if a company such as PSA says they're also insuring the value, I guess that's an additional service, but one that I think actually corrupts the expert opinion process. When you pay someone just for his honest opinion, you'll get his honest opinion. If you place a $30,000 Sword of Damocles over his head and for his opinion, assume the sword will effect the opinion. People complain that PSA and PSA/DNA don't admit their mistakes (and I, for one think they should, and think it's totally ridiculous that they've never admitted the Gretzky T206 Wagner is trimmed), but that's in major part because they've assumed financially responsibility and will have to pay out when they admit they're wrong. As I said, the value insurance part and getting an honest opinion counter to each other, and the insurance part corrupts the opinion part.

Now, it's a different situations with things I sell. Clearly I'm financially responsible to the buyer if it turns out to be a fake. If I make an error in identification, of course a refund is warranted. And clearly if I offer a lifetime guarantee of authenticity with something I sell, theres' a lifetime guarantee.

stop!! that is making too much sense and it wont fit into the equation . but it is exactly the point if they are offering a opinion , until futher notice or somebody else comes along it is what the hobby accepts , again anybody is more than welcome to print up business cards and start a service, if the tpa are proven wrong as a example ball turns out made after death then they should refund the fees , but like you said if they accept 10.00 and are held responsible for 1000 item it is a bad deal and more than likely nothing will pass . in the case way back on page one however if you issue a seller loa lifetime guarnatee then you are responsible , like most reputable sellers do pay up or end up in this mess , but i question how spence had a chance to make it right before getting posted . and my point earlier is that these boards can do some harm as well as good because some of these opinions are a joke