View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
Ben,

Thank you for the post and cautionary sentiment. I have "A Portrait of Baseball Photography" but it is silent on this issue. Attached are the front and back of a Zack Wheat cabinet mount photo by Charles Conlon with the same stamp you referenced. It has the Sporting News Collection hologram. I understand that many of the Conlon photos came from the Sporting News Collection. A very similar cabinet mounted Alexander with the Conlon stamp was recently sold on RMY Auctions. These photos seem to have all the indicia of authenticity. Is it your thought that any "Spalding's Guide and Baseball Magazine" Conlon stamp is a fake? How was this type of stamp established as a fake? Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Jim
This stamp was created and used post "a portrait of baseball photography" and after conlon was dead(fake created in last 10 years). Therefore, it will not be in the book. The problem is, it was used on some photos that could be potentially good too(not the majority). My thought is thst if your photo is a "standard"6by 8 and if you can lift a corner to view psprr(cks out) and the front is vintage.. It is probably good and the crook who used the bad stamp was just stamp happy that day and stamped ecrtything(not knowing good from bad themselves). This stamp on the back of the photo on your wheat is a forgery, however. I would get the photo removed from the mount. I am on my phone so I apologize for run-ons and spelling/grammatical errors but I hope you got the point. Pm me with any other questions or email me at info@weingartensvintage.com.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection