Thread: rarest backs
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Here's the updated list, but I'm still seeking input if you have any other additions or deletions to suggest.

E92 Croft’s (red)
E98 Old Put
E121 Kings, Gertenrich
E135 Merchants (soon to be disqualified?)
M101-4/5 Everybody's, Haserot's, Holmes to Homes, Mall Theater
R316 Douglas Park, Morton, Rialto
T205 Hindu, Drum
T206 Old Mill (brown), Lenox (brown)
T207 Red Cross
T213-3 Overprint
T216 Virginia Extra
W461(?) Playland
W514 Hendler's, Barker
W515 Fleer, Jersey
W551 Wool's
W554 Lucky Yo-Yo, Lucky Deal, Bonemery
W573/E120 Cafe du Monde, Cream Nut, Kings, Leader Theatre
W575-1 Johnson, Haffner's, Clark's, Gassler's, Leader Theatre, Queen City, Shotwell, Service Candy

Additionally, D355 qualifies as an E101 back if you think Burdick was wrong to classify it as a distinct set. Likewise, "Ty Cobb" qualifies if you think Burdick was right to classify it as a T206. (Personally I disagree with both decisions, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.)

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions and somewhat less for the antagonistic ones. For now I am including both stamped and printed backs, provided that the stamp is an ad (so owners’ stamps for personal collections don’t count). All of those that have been suggested but do not appear above do not qualify either because the back is blank, the front is too rare (e.g., D303), there is not an ACC cataloged set (e.g., Exhibit postcard back), or the back is too common (e.g., T213-1) to qualify. Others have already made this point for me, but if you think I’ve incorrectly omitted your set it may be that you're having trouble with the concept of 1% or the concept of the number 50 or the concept of the conjunction “and” or that I have a vendetta against you. Feel free to believe whichever one or combination of these is most comforting.
Interesting thread...funny comments! I too agree that Burdick mis-classified cobb cobb and d355/E101 niagra.

Rock on!