View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
If you really want to focus on something, I'd go with the '56s. They won't break your bank and they're awesome cards. In my opinion they are one of greatest of all sets. The artwork and colors on the fronts and backs is fantastic. Plus there are no rare cards or overpriced rookies. And they aren't missing a bunch of stars like the '54s, only Musial. The set is very attainable. Personally, I don't worry about focusing on anything. I simply buy what I like and it's worked out pretty well so far. I like variety more than sets ...
This. Especially if you like HOFs. The 56 set is loaded with early year HOFs that should hold their value - Clemente, Aaron, Mays, Koufax, Killebrew, Banks, Mantle, Mathews, Berra, Spahn, Kaline, and T. Williams, J. Robinson, to boot. And others like Wilhem, Roberts, Aparicio, Ashburn. You have there 7 members of the 500HR club and ground breaking players in Clemente and Robinson.

I would start with the Hall of Famers of the 56 set and then go to the HOFs of the 54 set where you have great rookie cards in Aaron, Banks, Kaline and iconic cards of Williams, Berra and Mays. Meanwhile in my spare time, I would be looking for bargain in T206 HOF. They will be rare, but they will be there. But starting with the more accessible 56 and 54s, you won't be discouraged with the slow going with the T206s.