View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't know how just the name would fade away and everything else looks fine. However, infrared viewers are used to read badly faded ink. Archeologists use them to read ancient documents where the writing has faded to unreadability or even invisibility under daylight. But it's a hit or miss proposition. It either works or it doesn't, all depending on the chemical makeup of the ink. Though it did work for me on badly faded and unreadable side writing on a 1920s baseball bat. I took an infrared photo and was clearly able to read it. I still have the photo. I have an infrared camera, but would have to find the batteries

Police forensic experts use special viewers that view things using all sorts of lenses, lights and filters-- black light, infrared, different colors, polarization--, all in the name of discovering otherwise invisible details and minute objects. An expert would look at it through the spectrum of lights to see if something appears, and if there is something it likely would. That's how they find minute hairs and droplets of saliva at a crime scene.

Last edited by drcy; 08-13-2014 at 01:27 PM.