View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If I understand you correctly Scott I agree that people's attitudes are a contributing factor, and it's disappointing more people don't take a stand and refuse to deal with people engaging in shenanigans and instead rationalize it in various ways (e.g. he never did anything to me), but I think at best it's only a partial explanation for criminal behavior.
I recently overheard my wife, who is a psychologist by profession, talk to another psychologist regarding people such as battered wives and abused girlfriends who stay in circumstances that keep allowing themselves to be victimized and they've conditioned themselves to tolerate injury. Sadly we just learned of one longtime acquaintance who was killed by her boyfriend after a year of documented abuse. They said this type of behavior or disorder can be attributed to what's called "learned helplessness". I think that this same type of behavior is prevalent in the sportscard hobby. Collectors knowingly get fleeced and they seem to tolerate it as long as they get cards for their collection and keep coming back for more.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain