View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Howard Chasser

Default The cupboards were bare - almost

With the items on my want list down to the fingers on one hand (plus the possibility of finding something I have never seen before) I go to shows with no expectation of finding items. That said, my expectation was met at this years national.

There were 3 1959 Kahns for sale (all low grade - priced fairly, so I presume they sold), a 1957 Kahn's low grade, a 1965 Macgregor advisory staff card graded 7 by Becket - the guy was asking $3500 for it - telling me the only other one that sold was graded a 4 and sold for $1400 - I didn't even bother continuing the conversation - everyone is entitled to their own reality. A few nice autographed items (The autographed items I have in my collection are about the item (incidentally happen to be autographed)) - so none for me.
Nothing else I can think of that was notable.

I took my 7 year old son to his first national and the time we had exceeded my expectations. 6 hours into the 8 hour drive, I heard the first "are we there yet?" He is a special child and I love him dearly. It was awesome - We got 2 cards made by upper deck - 1 of him and 1 father/son card. He got to hold a 1932 Babe Ruth game used bat. We did some pack ripping. He also was drawn to a 1950's Johnny Antonelli stadium pin which I bought for him - why that one? Time will tell perhaps. A few dealers gave him cards "for free" which he got really excited about. A number of people got a kick out of asking him who his favorite player is and hearing him say "Roberto Clemente". We also found a few additions to the 1952 Pirates set we are working on. All in all a wonderful memory I will treasure the rest of my life. Waiting for my 5 year old to get a little older to do the same with him!