View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Older cards......

Some good advice so here is my 2 cents. I totally understand the adage "buy expensive cards" but at his age (and I'm sure he is eager to get going) it does not really sound practical.

Ultimately it will be up to your son. He needs to forage. Buy, trade, read books, sell. Peruse NET54 for tons of ideas.

I am close to 50 years old and my first purchase (through the mail) was a T206 Sam Crawford that I bought from "The Trader Speaks" in the 1970s. It was maybe a 2 or a 3 on the grading scale but I will tell you that the $18 I sent through the mail was like a thousand to me since it was all I had at the time. I waited for that card like it was Christmas in July. When it arrived and I saw the colors and held that baby.......well, lets just say I was hooked! Regardless of the condition, at that age, I had to see all conditions to learn about grading and preservation of cards.

It is also healthy to make mistakes as this will build a solid foundation. We all make them but over time, hopefully they will subside.

My opinion and we all have one is to save his $$ each week or two and buy a card or two. Different sets, same set, it does not matter as his interests will change over time and he will eventually find his groove.

Bottom line, is there is no right answer. Try a few different ways and ideas and the light will "click" so to speak. Just this past weekend in Vermont at a local show, I bought 2 different 1933 Goudeys graded a 2 and a 3. The pair cost me $50!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes, the deals will appear out of nowhere. I also buy low grade Goudeys ungraded from time to time and pay around $10 to $15 per and have never bought a fake one or trimmed. To see the difference in real vs reprint have him buy a real Goudey for $15 or so. Have him buy a reprint Ruth say for $2 and when side by side and with the feel of each in his hands, he will know......trust me on this.

Great post. Good luck to him. PM me with your address and your name and I will send him something cool (vintage and real). Au Gratis.

Take care, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 08-04-2014 at 09:12 PM.