View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Just got back from my first ever National. Son and I drove out from Michigan for the day.

There is one overall impression I just can't shake. I happen to be a deer hunter and a once-a-month guys-night-out poker player, and as I walked around with serious cash (for me) in hand ready to spend, I realized that for many of these guys, this is their deer hunting trip/poker night!!!

The purpose for these dealers isn't to sell anything, it's to chat with each other and tell stories! It was actually pretty funny after a while. Of course, some guys were great and would immediately say hi and ask if you needed a price (which was a rare thing to see indeed!) But I suspect that most of these guys would show up once a year and set up their booths regardless of the number of customers. In fact, I suspect some of these guys would just prefer the customers weren't even there! And I can't really blame them - I'd probably be the same way!

And the prices!! Admittedly, there was so much vintage stuff that there could have been great deals and I wouldn't have known, but I was looking to buy Diamond Stars, 34 Goudeys, and finish my '69 Topps set.

One dealer tried to tell me that his '69 Reggie psa 7 was worth $200 more than the going rate for a psa 7. Okay, maybe...but it wasn't, it was off-centered a little just like all the rest. Another wanted $50 for a raw vg '52 George Kell - readily available for around $15. And the few raw Diamond Stars I saw were averaging about double the price on ebay. Graded ones were also about double. I bought exactly 1.

I got the distinct impression that the dealers assumed average customers like me had no clue about prices and so everything, for the most part, was over-priced compared to card target or ebay sold data.

We had fun and saw some amazing stuff, but I came back with way more money than I intended. I think the Sunday afternoon theory might be the best bet for me next time.

And thanks to David Cycleback who literally crawled under a table with a black light to examine an old Babe Ruth photo of mine just to verify its authenticity. Best $10 I spent all day! Super nice guy as well.

Had to take a picture of this little gem: