View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Some of the 1970's minor league team sets are very rare, in some instances, only a few hundred were made. Very few collectors means these sets almost never sell for book price.
I'm not even sure there is a "book" value for minor league cards these days, is there? From Dec. 1988 to Dec. 1990 there was the "Minor League Monthly Price Guide." Beckett listed most minor league team sets for a while, then cut back to almost nothing. I haven't seen a Beckett in a long time and am not sure if they even list any minor league team sets anymore. SCD listed them for a while. The last time I saw a new annual SCD (2008 issue), they didn't list minor league cards issued after 1969. I think "book" would be whatever the big dealers (STB Sports, Lake Country Minor League, and Gulf Coast Minors (I'm not sure he's in business anymore)) list for.

However, eBay always has better deals. I got the Knoxville set in the late '90s for $77 - well below book at that time. Like you said, even though the production rate is low, the demand is also low. eBay points this out.

Bottom line for the LaRussa card in the OP's link, $50 is way too much for the single LaRussa card.