View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephus View Post
My Dad was a middle school principal. He convinced his boss to let him off for Sept 10 to go to Cincinnatti to see his favorite player Pete Rose try and break Ty Cobb's hit record. Fortunately his boss let him off and he and I went to the game. Unfortunately Pete went 0-3 that night. My dad and I had to drive back to Bowling Green, KY that night empty handed and disappointed( 3 1/2 hours ). My Dad had just enough nerve to ask off for the next day, Sept 11. We went back that night and got to see hit 4192. We were also interviewed moments after the hit by a local radio person for our thought and reaction. It was so cool at the time how he hugged his son on 1 base and how they pulled a red corvette onto the field to present to Pete for this great accomplishment.
My birthday is Sept. 12, but I received my present on Sept 11 that year by being able to witness history with my Dad.
Since you brought up 4192, I'll mention something I've wondered for awhile now:

Since Cobb has been officially reduced to 4189 hits, instead of the previous total of 4191, why do we never hear anything about hit #4190? Who was it against? Where's the film? Do people care that the hit against Show didn't actually break the record? And so on...