View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Bob M

I was a young man working at Lowe's in 1974 and 1975 and won an Enterprise Paint contest sending me on trips to Super Bowls IX and X. Super Bowl IX was to be played in the New Orleans Super Dome but not being completed, rusty ole Tulane Stadium, instead hosted the Steelers vs Vikings. The night before my group went bar hopping in Fat City and saw Vikings Bill Brown #30 (with his short hair flattop) bellied up to a bar, knocking down a few cold ones and mingling with fans at midnight. Very cold weather and low, dark clouds engulfed the stadium at game time. O.J. Simpson sat a few rows behind me and he signed autographs throughout the game. The score was 2-0 at the half and the Steelers defense mauled the Vikings all day. I took 6 rolls of Super 8mm film that day.

Super Bowl X at the Orange Bowl was played in nice Miami weather. Hollywood filmed a portion of a movie that day (Black Sunday) with the Goodyear blimp floating overhead capturing shots of the Orange Bowl spectators (so, I'm in the movie...ha ha). Actor Robert Shaw roamed the sidelines during the game as filmmakers cameras rolled. Lynne Swan made his famous catch. And, at halftime, I stood shoulder to shoulder, side by side at the urinals, with Jack Nicklaus.