View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Scoring is overrated. Look at the excitement of a 2-1 or 1-0 baseball or soccer or hockey game. Or for that matter any relatively low scoring basketball game compared to the alternative.
Not sure if this was in response to my post, but if so, that's how I feel. I love seeing relatively low scoring, sub 3 hour baseball games again (though ESPN broadcasts always seem to add 45 min to 1 hr). These seem to be the norm for Giants games at AT&T, and were very much so during their two WS runs.

In regards to Griffey, I'd like to think he was clean, but have no idea how anyone besides him can say that with any certainty. Braun "looked clean" too- wirey strong with a beautiful swing. Baseball/Selig/Players Union didn't test, so aside from the health reasons, there was no disincentive for players to use. To the point of health risks, I think if players were being 100% honest (especially in that era), it would be startling to see how many in the prime of their lives would be willing to trade long term health for present day success and $$$.

Pujols is also very suspect to me, not only for his appearance, but how prevelent usage was in both the minors and majors when he burst onto the scene. It would be great to have hard evidence to determine who used and who didn't, but short of confessions I don't think we ever will for a majority of them. There were/will be a few high profile guys the government and media will spend countless hours and money to go after, but most of the rest will probably need to test positive to get busted.