View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Hi Leon,

I second Jeff's comments. I lived in DC for roughly five years and my fiance was born and raised there. It is a fun city with a lot of great things to do. I'd try to stick to NW to the extent possible, unless you are heading to Nationals stadium, some of the monuments, or to the Wharf for crabs right off the boat (one of my favorite adventures).

There are a lot of fun things to do in DC and some awesome places to eat.

Some recommendations on things to do/see/eat:
1. The Wharf: you can buy blue crabs on a barge, they will cook them up, and you can eat them right there on the Anacostia River. It is an eclectic crowd and the food is great.
2. The zoo: It is located in Woodley Park (red line on the metro) and is a very safe area. I've always had fun.
3. The National Cathedral: It is in a safe area but a little difficult to access by public transportation from what I can recall.
4. The Smithsonian Museums: the natural history one's gem collection is one of my favorites.
5. Nationals Stadium: great stadium, cheap seats, mediocre baseball, and always a nice time.
6. The Mall/Monuments: I think these are worth a visit while you are in town. They are beautiful at night as well.
7. The White House: no real explanation needed.
8. Georgetown: Has some great shopping and is a really neat neighborhood to walk through. Not sure whether your family is in to shopping, but is has a lot of great places. Plus, there is the very popular Georgetown Cupcakes (can be ordered online in advance to avoid the ridiculously long lines).
9. Ethiopian food: DC has some of the best Ethiopian restaurants. I used to go to Zed's in Georgetown, but it is a bit upscale and, from what I have heard, not nearly as good as the ones on U Street.
10. Ben's Chili Bowl: It is located on U Street. I'd recommend going during the day if you are going to. U Street is up and coming. It is a relatively safe neighborhood now from what I have heard, but there is still some crime there. Plus, at night, you may have to deal with some of the drunks from the bars on the street. I would recommend against venturing north of U Street. Ben's is a DC staple though. It's got a great history, and the president ate there a few years back adding to the popularity.
11. Burgers: If you like Burgers, I highly recommend Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington (awesome place) or Black & Orange Burger in Dupont (one of my favorites).

For hotels, I'd also recommend considering Northern Virginia. DC hotels are very expensive. If you find deals in DC, please check the neighborhood though, as there are several really far out of the way in South East, etc.

For transportation, the metro is very convenient. it will take you almost anywhere you want to go. It is also a very walkable city and there are cabs everywhere.

I made sure to hit Ben's Chili Bowl during my school trip! I second that!
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.