View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 05:12 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default hard lessons learned

This is how my collection got started. My first 14 Cracker Jack purchased. Roger Bresnahan no number in a BVG 4 holder. Buy it now on eBay for $1500. Wanting uniformity with PSA, I broke it out and sent it in for grading hoping for another 4. Dismayed and heart broken to learn it had been "altered", I spoke to customer service and unfortunately PSA couldn't/wouldn't tell me how it had been altered. I think I spent with shipping close to $100 to have it graded. I was a little annoyed that I wasn't given specifics on how it was altered. Wanting a second opinion I sent it in to SGC and they confirmed that it was altered and that someone had taken off the "number" on the back to make it the no number variety. I couldn't believe it! Who in their right mind would mess with a 100 year old beautiful work of art? It's not like the no number version is valued at a huge premium over the other one. Another $75 down the drain. Next I sent it back to BVG with the original serial number and tag asking if they'd just put it back in the original holder. They had their top guy take a look and he too came to same conclusion and because I had broken it out of the holder they couldn't put it back in. (my dumb mistake) Finally I sent it back to PSA and now it sits in my collection the most expensive "Authentic" ever slabbed! :-)

p.s. if you look at the back scan you can see a little smudge at the top over the "han" in Bresnahan but for the life of me can't see anything out of the ordinary above that where the number normally is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bresnahanfront.jpg (9.0 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg Bresnahanback.jpg (9.1 KB, 837 views)