View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Bill Boyd

If anyone has seen the above Ruth closeup in Goldin Auctions, and read the description, the description is completely wrong. I have been trying to get them to change it, but no response just yet.
First error, VanOeyen was not writing a book about Babe Ruth, the photos in the VanOeyen collection at the WRHS were to be for VanOeyens autobiography titled "Forty Years in Focus."
The second error is about the copyright to those photos. Getty owns the copyright to a portrait of Babe Ruth that was used to create the above photo of what is titled on the back as "Ruth's eyes". But in Getty's collection, nowhere is that closeup found, negative or photo. Nor is any copy in the WRHS. That close up of Ruth's eyes is the only original Press photo known to exist. The eye wash photo is also in Getty's collection and Negative and rights to Getty. The third photo, copyrights are owned by the WRHS.
The Goldin Auction has all three reversed as to ownership, of copyrights goes.
We still hope to have the description corrected. I have sent them all the information and proof they need to make the change. So if anyone is interested in the trio of photos offered in lot 291 at Goldin Auction, I hope you read this first.
If you want to ask any further questions, or wish to see any documentation/photos, just contact me via PM, or just ask on this thread.