Thread: RIP Tony Gwynn
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Default Tony Gwynn RIP

The timing and content regarding Tony Gwynn of an e-mail conversation that I had last Friday with net54 good guy member Mike Knapp is truly amazing. I thought that I would share it because Mike really captured the very essence of Tony Gwynn's talent:

"Carew's bat control was extraordinary. Tony Gwynn's was equally impressive. I saw him alone on a practice field in Peoria Arizona during spring training around 1994. Tim Flannery was throwing him BP. I wandered up to watch. No one else was around. I was holding my son who was three or four at the time. He was crying and wouldn't settle down. After a few moments Gwynn turned around and asked my son what his problem was. Aaron stopped crying and Gwynn actually stepped off the field and talked with us for a few moments. Then he told Flannery to get the buckets and stepped into the dugout. I thought they were done and began to leave. Flannery asked if I was a big fan and I acknowledged that was a bit of an understatement. He suggested I stick around. He then walked out to the area between short and third. He placed three five gallon buckets there. He did the same in shallow left center field. He then returned to the mound and waited for Gwynn. I watched in amazement as Gwynn used line drives to bounce all of those buckets around the field like an old west gun fighter. You can hit all day and you wont be Tony Gwynn, you can dribble all day and you wont be Michael Jordan, you can doodle all day and not become Botticelli. Witnessing talent like that is always amazing and humbling."

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-17-2014 at 09:44 AM.