View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Rick. I know, and for me personally, since I've been dealing with USPS' definitions for 12+ years, it's not an issue. My comment was regarding the postal employee's reference to a customer making the "mistake" of thinking that an envelope is actually an envelope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
pbspelly - you are absolutely correct. Our instructions our to "sell up". Offer the most expensive product first.

Lance - you are correct in saying that if you go to one clerk you may get different rates than the clerk 3' over will give you. It really is fairly simple, but many of the clerks don't seem to know the rules.

When you are adding 21cents postage just mark the envelope as "non-machinable" or "non-standard".

Scott - even though something is in an envelope, if it varies in thickness, or if it has something like a pack of gum, or a graded card, it is no longer a flat, because it will not go through the flat sorting machines. It needs to be treated as a parcel, because the parcel sorting machine will handle thicker/uneven envelopes without damaging them. The same thing applies to rigid items, like a photo mailer. An 8x10 photo mailer may seem to be a flat, but since it is rigid it will not go through the flats sorting machine without damage, so it needs be be handled like a parcel and parcel charges apply.

There is a cheap, safe way to mail single cards, thanks to a special ruling that was made for Netflix. For single, ungraded cards, I use a 6x8 photo mailer. It is under 1/4" thick with one card and a topload, it is under 6 1/8" high, which keeps it in the letter category, but it is rigid, which makes it non-machinable. The postage is 91 cents. 2 ounce postage of 70 cents and the non-machinable charge of 21 cents. The only downside is you cannot purchase tracking, so you don't want to send an expensive card this way. If the postal clerk hassles you just tell them it is a non-machinable 2 ounce letter. If you have a problem with it, give me the zip code of the Post Office and I will contact them.

Good luck! Rick