View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

This was written by a friend of mine who was on the 88 dodger WS team. I thought I would share....

"Total Bummer! He and I were teammates in 1987! Super nice guy! My Little League Coach called Me right after He Struck Out Reggie Jackson in The World Series in Yankee Stadium in 1978 and said "That's gonna be You Pretty Soon! I was a Sophomore at UCLA (like You!). Welch was a recovered Alcoholic since about 1980 and I heard He wasn't doing so well about 6 months ago. But, I saw Him only a year or 2 ago at a Dodger Alumni function and He was lean and chatty! Probably didn't go to the Doctor to get "checkups"! Like so many guys! I go. He had to Pitch the Game in August of '87 after our "eye in the sky Coach" died on the field at Dodger Stadium while throwing "early hitting" batting practice! Don McMahon, Big Dude who pitched in the Majors until He was 44 years old! Great Reliever. He was 58 years old!!! Now that's pretty spooky. Welch was really upset emotionally, but went out there like the Stud Pro that He was, and pitched his ass off. He was such a Great Pitcher-Athlete!! Loved to Compete! Incredible Fastball-Curveball Combo. Then learned a Split finger change up that helped Him win 30 games with the A's! Hall of Fame Caliber Pitcher. Just not quite enough wins or years. Makes Me really think about mortality. Wow"