View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Erich W

Default Some validation on why '14 Cracker Jacks are surging

I have been a collector of vintage baseball cards for about 8 years. For the past 5-6 years, I picked up the best of what I could afford and accumulated a nice collection. Yet I always felt unsatisfied because there was no end game. It was just buy the card du jour and then on to another that "felt right" at that moment in time. I lost interest in this approach and decided that I would auction off all my cards and pursue a single set.

I wanted the set to be tough, iconic, achievable with perseverance and not named t206.

I had a few 1914 cracker jacks in my collection already but never got the urge to go after them all. Then a combination of the centennial, reading the zappala book and the intrigue behind the set led me to want to complete it. I started the journey this January and have not looked back!

I have built most of my collection to date through private transactions. Thank you tom pr!nce, Ed dewoe!fe, mike hea!er and several others for your support.

That said I have participated in many auctions. I have won or been a bidder on several of the cards mentioned in this thread. Like many have said, it only takes a few new collectors to elevate prices. I believe I am one of at least three to four newbies starting this set with the goal of completing it.

I did not win the slim sallee but if you look at the combined pop reports with sgc and psa you will find that that is a scarce card. There are only 24 available and less than half that in nice shape. I did bid on this card but did not win it. Someone wanted that card very badly as I was up late competing for it.

I did win the Pratt and Caldwell. Both are very scarce cards in the set. Admittedly the Pratt is a forgiving 2.5 but consider what I paid competitive in this market because the last two 2s sold for $10k and $16k a few years ago. I believe that was a good deal for a 2.5. The Caldwell has a total pop of 21 (2 more than Pratt!) and I believe it was a bit under graded. I will seek a bump. Nonetheless, it is very scarce and thus the peak in price.

Cheers