View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Default Dating and Identification for 1934 Tour of Japan postcard with Ruth

I won this postcard from a recent Hunt auction here: Link, and just received it. The lot description was as follows:

"1934 Babe Ruth Tour of Japan postcard (shown with note Tempura Chef) (VG-EX) Period postcard has black and white photo of Ruth with Heigeno Tempei (and another unidentified man) on front and has written English sentiment on back and has been postally cancelled. Scattered wear to edge and some creasing. Seldom offered with this being the first we have sold: VG-EX"

Obviously, the postcard is not VGEX, but I knew that from the auction scan. However, the scan only showed the front of the postcard, and not the back. Since the description stated that the postcard was postally cancelled, I assumed that meant it was cancelled in 1934 since that was how Hunt dated the postcard. I've included the front and back scans on this post. As you can see from the back scan, it looks like the postmark date is Oct 31, 1938, and not 1934.

Has anyone seen this postcard before, and it is truly a 1934 postcard as Hunt claimed and not 1938? If it is a 1938 postcard, I am considering requesting a return. However, the description states that it is a "Period postcard." In the general opinion of others, would that give Hunt the leeway that they still accurately dated the postcard since it is within that rough period? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan_tour_ruth_front.jpg (76.9 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg japan_tour_ruth_back.jpg (75.9 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by glchen; 05-29-2014 at 10:50 AM.